Monday, March 11, 2013

We're from Texas...So We Need a Litte Tex-Mex in Our Lives

Walking Taco Casserole

(Courtesy of Pinterest)


For starters, I have NO idea why the name of this recipe is "Walking Taco" Casserole.  But hey, who am I to judge?

I really liked this recipe because I love love love Fritos AND I love love love tacos!  Now I went ahead and made this recipe a little different from the actual instructions on Pinterest.  Mainly because I made it a bit healthier and I used a smaller sized casserole dish than the recipe calls for. 

MY Ingredient list:
1 package taco seasoning
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1 lbs ground turkey
4 cups Fritos corn chips
2 cups of fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
1 can rotel tomatoes (drained)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown ground turkey and onion. Add taco seasoning mix following directions on the package.  Once meat is fully seasoned, add the drained can of rotel tomatoes.  Spray casserole dish with cooking spray so that nothing sticks.  Pour 2 cups of Fritos into the bottom of the casserole dish, spreading evenly.  Pour half of the meat mixture on top of the Fritos.  Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese on top of the meat.  Pour the remaining 2 cups of Fritos on top, then the rest of the meat mixture and cheese.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. 

Top dish with your favorite toppings:  lettuce, tomato, sour cream, guacamole, taco sauce, etc!

We LOVED this dish!***  It will definitely become a staple in our home.  The Fritos gave the dish just the right amount of crunch!  This dish is almost reminiscent of the Frito chili pies we would make back home in SE Texas!



Whats in it



The finished product!
***Special Notes***

Please note that this dish DOES NOT re-heat well!  The chips will be soggy the next day and the cheese will harden.  You must make it when you plan to eat it and it is not good for leftovers.  I am going to pay around with this recipe to try and remedy this problem, but unitl I do, I want my bloggers to know!

1 comment:

  1. This is really similar to one of our favorite recipes. We use macaroni instead of Fritos. The macaroni makes it easy to reheat but it does lack crunch. We might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete