Saturday, March 9, 2013

Night #2 of Pork: An Upcycle

Easy Pulled Pork (Upcycled from Easy Pork Roast)

(Another one I get to take credit for!)

Hellloooo blog flunkies!  Tonight's dinner is what I call and "upcycle" from last night.  If you've read last night's post then you might have a clue what I am talking about.  If not, well then let me explain.

Last night I cooked a crock-pot pork roast.  I got the roast on sale at Winn-Dixie and it was a little bigger than what Shannon and I need for just one meal.  So I cut off a portion (about 1 1/2 lbs) of the roast and saved it for dinner tonight and decided to make pulled pork sandwiches.  Smart right?  And a good way to save money if I do say so myself. 

You could also use a chuck (beef) roast if you'd prefer or if its the meat that's on sale!

Below you will find the recipe if you were using the ENTIRE roast.  If you want it for a smaller portion just send me a comment.  

Ingredients:

  • 3-5 lb pork or beef roast
  • 1 chicken or beef broth
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 bottle of your favorite brand of BBQ sauce (more if you want to add some after it is done cooking)
  • 3 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp of onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp of chili powder
  • 1 tsp of cumin
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)


Instructions:

Mix together in a mixing bowl the last six (6) ingredients.  This will create a dry mix rub.  Rinse the roast with water.  Place the roast into the crock-pot and rub ALL over with the dry mix.  Next add water and broth.  Cook like this on high for 3-4 hours.  After the allotted cooking time, take out roast and shred with two forks.  Place shredded meat back into the crock-pot.  Add the bottle of BBQ sauce and mix well.  (There may be some water/broth left in the pot and thats GOOD).  Cook on low for another 1-2 hours or until meat is tender.  

I decided to serve our sandwiches with some box mac & cheese and a pickle on the side!

You can adjust the seasonings and water/broth/sauce mixture to suit your tastes.

Tomorrow night you're in for a real treat!  Two Pinterest recipes!  Stay tuned....

 


No comments:

Post a Comment