Saturday, March 9, 2013

Easy Peasy Crock-pot Pork Roast

Easy Peasy Crock-pot Pork Roast

(I get to take all the credit for this one!)

I'm back blog lovers, and I am bringing you delicious easy crock-pot pork roast!  What I love about crock-pot meals is that you put everything in ONE dish, plug it in and forget about it for about 3-8 hours depending.  Crock-pot meals are great for busy moms on the go, or even you bachelor's out there that love home cook meals but don't want to make a big deal out of cooking. 

Below you will find my easy/cheap recipe for pork roast.  The recipe also works with chuck (beef) roast if you'd prefer that over pork.  Pork roasts were just on sale at Winn-Dixie when we went. 

Also I would like to note that the roast we purchased was about 3lbs.  There are only two of us, and I don't really do left overs much, so I actually divided the roast.  I cut it about 3/4 and 1/4.  I will use the smaller portion to make pulled BBQ pork sandwiches tonight!

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2-3lbs of roast (beef or pork)
  • 1 SM can of green beans*
  • 1 SM can of cut carrots*
  • 2-3 (or more if you'd like) med potatos, skinned or with skin on, chunked up
  • 1-2 stalks of celery diced (depending on our like of celery)
  • 1-2 stalks of green onions diced
  • 1 package of beefy onion soup mix
  • 2-4 cups of water (depends on size of crock-pot and roast)

Optional ingredients:

  • 1 cup rice--prepared
  • 1 package of brown gravy--prepared

Instructions:

Chop/skin/dice all of the veggies that require it.  Set aside.  Open small cans of green beans and carrots, drain completely and dump into empty crock-pot.  Add the fresh veggies that you prepared.  Open the package of beefy onion soup and sprinkle about 1/4 of the package on top of the veggies.  Rinse roast.  Place roast in middle of crock-pot.  You can either place it directly on top of the the veggies (what I did) or you can create a whole and arrange the veggies around the roast.  Sprinkle remaining soup mix on top.  Add the 2-4 cups of water to the pot.  You only want to add enough water to cover the veggies and half the roast.  Cook in crock-pot on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 

*Special Notes*

You can definitely use all fresh veggies if you like.  I like the can variety for the cost and easiness of it.  Also add as many different types of veggies that you'd want.  I am a picky eater, so carrots, green beans and potatoes are about all I go for. 

Because we cooked such a small serving of everything (due to not wanting roast leftovers for weeks) I also cooked a small pot of rice & gravy to go with ours (See optional ingredients above).  I knew that my honey would want something of substance to make him full and rice is the cheapest way to go.  I used some of the water left in the crock-pot after the roast was finished cooking, mixed it with the brown gravy mix and it made the best taking gravy ever! 



What you'll need....


Deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment