Saturday, March 30, 2013

Greek Style Garlic Chicken

Courtesy of Food on the Table

So I must apologize for the lack of consistent blog posts.  Shannon came down with a cold and so I've been basically taking a break from cooking and have just been focus on getting him well.  He is feeling MUCH better now and so we tried a new chicken dish for supper last night. 

I found this recipe on a new app for my iPhone called "Food on the Table".  The app lists itself as a menu planner app, but you have to be a premium member to add more than 3 recipes to your "plan".  I do not like it and will probably try and find a more suitable app in the next few days. 

Basically this is the recipe for the marinade.  And it was a REALLY good marinade.  However, our chicken turned out a little tough*.    Oh and sorry for there not being any pictures.  I thought I had saved the pictures to the blog, so I deleted them off my phone, and in reality I did NOT save them to the blog. 

Ingredients:

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves                                          
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil*
  • 1 (lemon) lemon, juiced
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic*
  • 1/2 (teaspoon) salt
  • 1 1/2 (teaspoon) black pepper
  • 1/3 (teaspoon) paprika
Instructions:

1.  Cut 3 slits in each chicken breast to allow marinade to penetrate. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika for about 30 seconds. Place chicken in a large bowl, and pour marinade over; place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees*.  When chicken is done marinading place in a shallow baking dish and pour remaing marinade over the top of the chicken.  Bake for 25-35 minutes or until chicken has reached 165 degrees. 

*Special Notes*:

1.  I believe our chicken turned out tough because 30 minutes is not long enough for the marinade OR I should have tenderized the chicken with a meat mallet first.
2.  I actually only used about 1/4 of a cup.  The original recipe called for 1 cup, which seemed excessive and wasteful.
3.  I used minced garlic because I don't have crushed garlic, which the original recipe called for.  Also we like garlic, so I increased the amount.
4.  The original recipe calls for this chicken to be cooked on the grill, which would add so much more flavor, but it was late and we didn't feel like doing all of that, so we used the oven.




No comments:

Post a Comment