Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper Cupcakes!

Courtesy of Pinterest


So Shannon and I both LOVE Dr. Pepper, and of course we LOVE cupcakes, so what better recipe to try right?  Well, the cupcakes turned out delicious, but there really wasn't any Dr. Pepper taste to them.

I varied from the original recipe some, in that I only had normal Dr. Pepper not Cherry Vanilla DP and I wasn't going to buy it.  So I used cherry and vanilla flavoring instead.  I also did not make my own icing.  I am too lazy and my frosting never turns out quite right.  

See below for MY variation of this recipe, and brace yourselves, the nutrition information is NOT that healthy.  Next time I will use Diet Dr. Pepper, if there is a next time since there was no Dr. Pepper taste.

Ingredients:

(Cakes)
 1 chocolate cake mix                                                                     
1 cup of Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup whole milk 
1 stick of butter melted
2 eggs
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp cherry juice (from jar of cherries)

(Frosting)

1 can of vanilla frosting
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp cherry juice
Cherries to top cupcakes
Red food coloring

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pan with cupcake papers.  Pour all ingredients into one large mixing bowl.  With an electric mixer, mix on medium until smooth.*  Pour mixture into cupcake holders until almost full.**  Bake for 15-17 minutes.  

For icing--mix together vanilla and cherry juice with room temperature frosting.  Add red food coloring until frosting is red.***  Top cupcakes with cherries.  Yields around 18 cupcakes.  

Special Notes:

*The batter will be very thin.  I'm not sure why this is, my guess is if you used buttermilk like the original recipe suggested it might be a bit thicker.  But we don't really care for buttermilk.  

**The cupcakes do not rise very much.  They taste great, but if you follow the "fill the cupcake cup to 2/3 way full" rule you will have much smaller cupcakes that you'd like.  

***My frosting did not turn all the way red.  I think I had too much frosting and too little red food coloring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment