Saturday, March 30, 2013

Turkey, Bean and Rice Burritos with Fresh Pico de Gallo

This recipe is one from out of my head, well all except the pico de gallo, which I got out of a recipe book sometime somewhere.

If you know me, you know that I LOVE, I mean LOVE, Mexican food.  I am always trying to find a way to make it "different" and healthier.  I know this isn't the healthiest recipe, but its A LOT better than if you used whole fat ingredients.

Let me start off by saying that I don't normally like Spanish rice from a box mix.  For some reason it always turned out too dry, too flavorless or too moist for my liking.  But tonight I was looking for a way to stretch the pound of ground turkey a little farther without spending a lot of money.  And then I saw Rice a Roni WHOLE GRAIN Spanish Rice mix.  I had to try it because I love their other whole grain mixes, and whole grains are better for you of course!  It was OUTSTANDING!  I wish I had bought more!

Alright, let's get this thing rolling....we'll start with the Pico de Gallo.

Fresh Pico de Gallo


Ingredients:

  • 4 Roma tomatoes, diced                                                  
  • 2/3 cup red onion diced
  • 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
  • The juice from 1 lime
  • 2 Tbsp fresh or dried cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)

Instructions:

Dice all vegetables and put into a medium mixing bowl.  Cut lime in half and using your hands, squeeze all available juice on to diced vegetable mix.  Next add the cilantro and salt.  Mix the vegetables and juice together with your hands or a spoon until will blended.  

Nutritional Information:


 

 

 

 

 

Turkey, Bean and Rice Burritos

Ingredients:
  • 1lb ground turkey                                                                         
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning
  • 1 can of refried beans
  • 1 1/2 cups 2% shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 box of Rice a Roni Whole Grain Spanish rice
  • 6 tortillas soft taco size

Instructions:

Brown ground turkey in skillet and drain any fat.  Add taco mix and 1/2 cup of water.  Bring meat mixture to boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.  In a separate pan, make Rice a Roni following box directions OMITTING olive oil.  In yet another separate pan, heat canned beans up until creamy.  Heat tortillas in microwave.   

Building the burrito:  Spread beans in a layer onto the tortilla.  Scoop and spread 1/4 cup of the rice mixture on top of bean spread.  Scoop and spread meat mixture on top of rice.  Top with desired amount of cheese.  Roll burrito.  Top with any of your favorite toppings like:  Olives, Sour Cream, Guacamole, lettuce or tomatoes.  

Nutritional Information:


No comments:

Post a Comment